Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Picture Entry! (Second Half, Part II)

Alright, Part Two of the Second Half, aka final thoughts and reflections, and pictures.

ONE.  If you didn’t know or think it already, the Philippines is a GORGEOUS country.  And that's my assessment based on the few places I saw, following the worst disaster the country has ever experienced, and in the middle of the rainy season. But you be the judge.  






TWO.  If you didn’t know or think it already, the Filipino are a BEAUTIFUL people.  Haha, before any of you twist that to mean something I didn’t, let me add that ALL nations are beautiful people (good save Wes, self high five!).  But I’m constantly reminded of the mental strength and character of the Filipinos I met, and there’s an undeniable beauty there.  







As I scroll through these pictures, the people are smiling, in all of them.  It’s a simple gesture, but one that is sometimes hard to do when things aren’t going well.  Well, these people are come from areas that suffered damage at the hands of Haiyan and definitely have due cause not to smile, but they still do in spite of all that.  Uplifting, no?



While we’re talking about great characteristics of the Filipino people, the handwritten letter pictured next was given to me by a Filipino lady that I didn’t recognize, and almost assuredly, that I hadn’t met before.  Yet, she proceeded to give a copy to every team member in our office.  I'm not sure if you can read it, but it's simply a letter of thanks, on behalf of herself and the Filipino people.  

She uses words like 'beloved, thanks, grateful, caring, inspiring' to describe those of us who came to help.  Funny, because I think I’ve used those same words to describe the Filipino people.  



Next, we’ve got 90% of the WASH team in I think our one and only photo together.  Missing are Tyrone, who I mentioned two blog posts ago, and Stephen, who’s standing in the middle right of the last collage above.

In the picture, from left to right, we have Marc, Sylvan, John, Julie, Raymond, Glaiza, myself, Angelica, Moises, Neah, Gary, Rina, Chrischee, and Gavin.  They’re all smiles here, but this group 
     a) works tirelessly day in and day out; 
     b) doesn’t complain or ask for much, regardless of the tasks we ask of them; 
     c) were all affected by the storm to varying degrees themselves, though you’d never know by their cheerful demeanours.

The four girls and Sylvan make up the hygiene team, while the four boys and Rina make up the engineering team, and Moises and Tyrone are our awesome (seriously not kidding) drivers!   Gary was the smarter half of Team eMi, and then Gavin and Stephen are with SP and should be there for at least the next 3-6 months to help develop both the water and hygiene programs as well as continue to train our young but talented team.  I could write much much more about all these wonderful people, but I've already long passed my word limit.



We passed by the gate below with the nicely paved driveway; it's the back entrance to a golf course, which is a beautifully designed and well-kept piece of land. I naïvely asked our driver how many Filipinos play golf to which he hesitated, then answered, “…maybe the rich people?”  He didn’t know who plays golf, because this affluent sport is just a foreign concept to him, and probably many of the Filipino population.  

Driving past the gate, we continued probably less than 200m across a narrow bridge and up a beat up road to Caminishay, one of the villages where we distributed hygiene kits.  The village is poor, which is why it was identified for distributions; it doesn’t even have a communal space like some of the other poorer villages have.  The stark contrast between the upscale golf course and the poor village beside it, separated by a fancy padlocked gate reminds me a lot of what is wrong in our world.  Like Canada, the United States, and most everywhere in the world, there is also an immense gap in the Philippines between the upper and lower classes that only continues to widen.  Not to make a political statement here as my Filipino history is next to none, but each of us has the responsibility to care and support those living on the margins which, in developing nations, can account for a significant portion of the population. 

It's no easy task to stand against the tide of worldly ambitions and expectations, but would we be willing to open the gates in our lives? Whatever that could be: mentally, symbolically or even physically.  Oh, that each of us would strive, as Micah famously wrote, 'to act justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly.'  




Deep breath. LAST picture. Disclaimer: I didn’t take it and I don’t know the story behind it (though I do know the people in it).  Regardless, it reminds me of a few verses in Thessalonians that commands us to, ‘encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone, rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances.’  A tough list to follow, but it can be done.  I know, because I’ve seen it. The Filipino people showed me.