Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thoughts and Reflections from Week One


I’ve started this entry every night, only to fall asleep after barely a sentence or two.  There are so many things I’d love to share but for the sake of getting something posted, here’s just a couple of them with some initial pictures that I really hope will upload... More to follow but hopefully these provide an idea of the magnitude of the damage in certain areas. 

Number one impression, and one that has been repeatedly reinforced from basically every interaction we've had, is the remarkable character of the Filipino people.  Yesterday marked the 2 month anniversary since the typhoon touched down in Tacloban, and it’s amazing to see the incredible recovery that has already taken place.  As I’d noted in the first post, the response effort following Typhoon Haiyan is now beginning to shift away from disaster response into the longer term recovery and development phase.  The international community has definitely assisted in this work, but I've really been inspired by the amount of progress that is attributed back to the local people and government.  

Number two, the Samaritan’s Purse team here is truly awesome and I’ve likewise been greatly encouraged by them.  I guess I wasn’t sure what to expect upon arrival but what I found has definitely been a blessing.  I look around the room and the international experience within the collective group is truly remarkable.   As is often the case, I find myself so humbled to work on such a gifted team.   Ranging from coast to coast to coast, I’m pleased to announce that Canada, and BC in particular, is very well represented here.   We have about 25 expats and probably 40 locally hired Filipino staff in the Tacloban office, and another 50 or so casual labourers working at the warehouse.  There are dedicated teams for Food, Nutrition, Shelter, WASH, Logistics, HR and IT so you can imagine that it’s quite a hub of activity each day with all the different groups and ongoing tasks.
 
Even better than the technical expertise and abilities though is the heart of these individuals.  About half are like myself, short termers who vary from 3-6 weeks, and the other half are long term SP staff, many of whom came directly from other international assignments.   I find that my world sometimes tends to shrink to the immediate work at hand, especially when internet access is somewhat limited.  But one of the items that the team here in the Philippines most frequently pray for is the escalating conflict in South Sudan.  I have so much I can learn from this humble group.

Lastly, Tindog Tacloban has kind of become the slogan, or war cry perhaps, for the recovery post Yolanda.  It means, Rise Up Tacloban, which perfectly describes what is happening here today.


 First couple photos on the main road after leaving Tacloban airport.

Area near the ocean, which the government has now ruled cannot be rebuilt within 40m of the shoreline.


Christmas Tree made from plastic bags, a symbol of hope and strength among much physical destruction.

Thanks for your support so far!

Wes